Portuguese Kale Soup
There are so many reasons to love this Portuguese-inspired kale and sausage soup. As with many soups, this recipe tastes even better on the second day. For that reason, we love this soup for meal prep. It makes enough for a whole week of lunches or dinners and it freezes well.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz. turkey kielbasa sausage, sliced
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 medium leeks, chopped, just white and light-green parts
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and discarded, torn (about 4 cups)
- 1 (15-oz.) can kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, no added salt
- 6 cups low-sodium organic chicken (or vegetable) broth
- Ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
Here are your instructions:
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add kielbasa; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until browned.
Add garlic, leeks, and kale; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft.
Add kidney beans, tomatoes, broth, and pepper (if desired). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Please note, some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you). I only recommend products that I use and have found helpful!