Pecan and Sweet Potato Pie
This recipe puts a spin on traditional pecan pie, making it healthier, and still just as delicious. The sweet potatoes and dates bind the rest of the ingredients together to really lock in all the flavors.
We’ve done our best to create this dessert using whole, healthy ingredients, but keep in mind that it’s still an indulgent treat meant to be consumed on special occasions. If you’re doing one of our programs and seeking maximum results, this probably is not the recipe for you. If you’re just trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle, this is the type of thing you should eat once or twice a week at most – and even then at the recommended serving size.
- 1 cup quick-cooking old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup ground raw almonds
- 1 Tbsp. + ¼ cup pure maple syrup (or raw honey), divided use
- ½ tsp. sea salt, divided use
- 3 Tbsp. + ¼ cup extra-virgin organic coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1½ cups raw pecan halves, divided use
- 6 large medjool dates, coarsely chopped
- 1 large egg white
- 1 large sweet potato, baked, skin removed, mashed
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
Here are your instructions:
Preheat oven to 425° F.
Combine oats, flour, almonds, 1 Tbsp. maple syrup, and ¼ tsp. salt in a medium mixing bowl; mix well.
Add 3 Tbsp. oil to oat mixture; mix well. If needed, add water to hold mixture together.
Press into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until light brown.
Reduce oven temperature to 350° F.
Place 1 cup pecans in a food processor; pulse until well ground.
Add dates, remaining ¼ cup maple syrup, remaining ¼ tsp. salt, remaining ¼ cup oil, egg white, sweet potato, and ginger; pulse until well blended.
Pour pecan mixture into cooled crust. Top with remaining ½ cup pecan halves.
Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until firm. Serve warm, or cool pie on wire rack.
- This pie is extremely rich, so a serving size is smaller than a regular slice of pie.
- For a vegan version eliminate the egg whites. This pie will be more dense, so it is best served warm, or cold (out of the refrigerator).
Please note, some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you). I only recommend products that I use and have found helpful!