Looking for a super simple one-pan meal? This Taco Skillet recipe will be your new weeknight meal. It’s packed with veggies, protein, and loads of spice. A perfect, low carb weeknight dinner! It’s Gluten Free and can be a Whole30 and Paleo option – just skip the cheese!
- 1 lb ground turkey or chicken, aim for around 7% fat
- 1 medium white onion chopped, about 1 cup
- 2 large carrots, chopped into small pieces, about 1 1/2 cup
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 (14 oz can) crushed or chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (optional)
- green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
- fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
Warm the olive oil in a large skillet on a medium high heat. Once the oil is warm add the ground meat and begin breaking up the meat into smaller pieces to cook faster.
Once the meat is no longer pink add the onions, carrots, bell peppers, chili pepper, and garlic. Stir the vegetables into the meat mixture well.
Add the taco seasonings: chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika, cumin, and salt. Stir well to mix the spices and vegetables together. Stir in the crushed tomatoes.
Cover the pan with a fitted lid and reduce the heat down to a medium-low heat. Let the meat and veggies cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook longer if you prefer softer veggies and for a shorter amount of time if you like your vegetables with more bite.
Uncover the pan and sprinkle shredded or grated cheese over the top of the meat and veggies. Cover the pan for another 2-3 minutes to let the cheese melt.
Sprinkle green onions and cilantro over the top of the melted cheese and serve.
Calories: 303 Fat: 17 g Saturated fat: 5 g Carbohydrates: 8 g Sugar: 3 g Fiber: 3 g Protein: 29 g
Please note, some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you). I only recommend products that I use and have found helpful!