Pico de Gallo
The Best Hand Chopped Salsa Fresca – Pico de Gallo
I’ve made this Pico de Gallo recipe several times and I just can’t get enough of it! It’s simple and you can make it as hot or mild as you like it. The trick for this salsa is marinating the onions, garlic, and jalapenos in lime juice for 5-10 minutes before adding the tomatoes and cilantro.
I’ve tweaked this recipe a little to suit my tastes (added garlic, black pepper, and a Serrano pepper). Feel free to do the same for your salsa and enjoy!
Looking for some healthy recipes to pair this Pico de Gallo with? You might like these recipes: Chicken Tacos, Chicken and Black Bean Burrito Bowl, Nachos, and you can even make your own Baked Tortilla Chips for a healthy snack!
- 1 cup red or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped - or more to taste
- 1 Serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional for a spicier salsa)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2-1/2 cups Roma (plum) tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 salt
- black pepper, to taste
Chop and mix onion, jalapeno pepper, Serrano pepper, garlic and lime juice in a large bowl. Allow to stand for 5-10 minutes.
While the onion/pepper mix marinates, chop the Roma tomatoes and cilantro.
Add the tomatoes, cilantro, salt and pepper to the marinade; allow to stand 15 more minutes for flavors to blend.
I leave the seeds in both the hot peppers and tomatoes when I make this. I prefer a spicier and juicier Pico de Gallo.
- Chicken Tacos – Rachel Freebairn Fitness – […] they have only 248 calories and 6 grams of fat per serving! For added flavor, check out this fresh…
Please note, some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you). I only recommend products that I use and have found helpful!